Home » History

HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT

 

Department of Microbiology was establised in 1936 at the Medical Faculty of Lviv University. But the researches in microbiology at the Faculty of Biology  were made even earlier.

In 1877-1883 Francishek Dionisij Kamensky worked at the Faculty of Biology. He studied the plant Monotropa hypopitys and found out for the first time  cohabitation of fungi with the higher ungreen plants.

He also studied biophytes, diseases of vine. Described fungus Metschnikowia artemaiae from Odessa estuaries, that parasitizes on crawfishes. His last and most significant for microbiology work was the construction of microscope with mobile objective table for a stereoscopic photography.

In 1896 Pavel Ludvig Kuchera begins to workt in Lviv University. He studied the problems of sanitary microbiology; the first in Halychyna began the production of vaccine against hydrophobia and organized the first Pasteur station for fight against hydrophobia; developed the methods of fight against a cholera, typhoid and spotted fever.

 

From 1897  Roman Baronch worked at the Medical Department of Lviv University. He studied actinomycosis and suggested the method for treatment of this disease that became generally accepted.

In 1913 at the Faculty of  Biology Rudolf Veigl began to work. He studied rickettsia - causative agents of human diseases. He developed the method for artificial infection of lice by Rickettsia prowadzeckii  (causative agent of the spotted fever) and vaccine against the spotted fever.

In 1919 Severyn Juzef Krshemienievski begins to work at the Department of Anatomy and Physiology of Plants, and in 1924 - Helena Josefa Krshemienievska. They worked in the Antityphoid Institute of Rudolf Veigl. They studied azotobacteria, described an original method for isolation of mycobacteria from soil and their morphology, considerably improved their systematics.

In 1930-1931 the dean of Medical Faculty of Lviv University was Zdislav Shtoizing, who studied the microbiota of drinking-water.

In 1931-1932 this position was occupied by Jan Tadeush Lenartovych, who explored the pathogenic agents of venereal diseases (syphilis, gonorrhoea) and developed the method of microscopic detection of causative agent of syphilis. On position of rector of Lviv University Severyn Krshemienievski worked at that time.

 

In 1928-1940 Jan Mechislav Badian worked at the Faculty of Biology. He explored the structure of bacterial cells, in particular, myxobacteria, cyanobacteria, yeasts, their development; perfected the technique of microorganisms staining for the detection of nuclear structures; one of the first expressed supposition about a presence in bacteria of nucleoid - the analogue of eucaryotic nucleus.

In 1936-1939 the chief of Microbiology Department was Napoleon Gonsiorovski. He investigated the pathogenic agents of cholera, syphilis, stupor and dysentery. Due to him Lviv acquired the value of center for researches of dysentery in Poland. Napoleon Gonsiorovski also Created Lviv School of Microbiologists.

 

At this time Vladimir Kurilovych worked at the Department. He introduced the original method for classification of bacteria of genus Streptomyces, discovered the localization of enzymes of penicillin G biosynthesis.

 

In 1939 Department of Microbiology was transferred to Lviv Medical Institute. In 1946 it was opened again at the Faculty of Biology  of Lviv University. In 1946-1969 it was named the Department of Microbiology and Soil Science.

In 1946-1960 the Department was headed by Leo Samoilovych Lytvynov. He studied the problems of agricultural microbiology and bacterial fertilizers.

In 1961-1969 the chief of Department was Alexandra Hebhardt, who investigated the nitrogen-fixing bacteria and took part in the development of bacterial fertilizers production technology.

In 1969-1970 the chief of Department was Georgiy Shavlovski. He studied the biosynthesis of vitamin B2 in microorganisms, the mechanisms of genetic control of yeasts metabolism.

In 1970 the chief of Department became Nina Dacuk. She studied the actual questions of industrial microbiology, ecology and physiology of microorganisms, biosynthesis of vitamins of B group.

At that time Rosa Kuznetsova worked at the Department, she studied the physiology and biochemistry of microorganisms, and Roman Kucheras, who researched the physiology of microorganisms - producers of biologically active compounds. In 1986-1995 he was the assistant of dean of Faculty of Biology on work with foreign students.

From 1984 till 2014 the department was headed by Stepan Hudz. He studied the regulation of metabolism in microorganisms, now works with microorganisms that take part in the sulfur cycle.

From 2014 the department is headed by Svitlana Hnatush.