Scientific interests: influence on bioenergetic processes in mitochondria of stress factors of internal and external environment (catecholamines, immobilization stress, nitrates / nitrites, ionizing radiation, hypoxia, etc.); ionic and bioenergetic mechanisms in the heart and methods of their normalization in case of diabetes and myocardial ischemia; bioenergetics of cancer cells; use of nuclear magnetic resonance in the study of cellular mechanisms of hyperthermia and chemotherapy on cancer cells; energy processes in cancer and normal cells for the action of potentially chemotherapeutic substances. For the first time he expressed and substantiated in co-authorship with others. the hypothesis about the existence of a functional system of catecholamines – amber acid – ATP – cAMP, which became the basis of the theory of hormonal-substrate-nucleotide systems of regulation of energy processes.
Cand. Biol. Sci. (PhD) thesis: Effect of adrenaline on oxidative phosphorylation and exchange of calcium ions in liver and mitochondria of the liver and mucous of the small intestine of the rat, 1985. Specialty 03.00.13 – physiology of humans and animals. Scientific supervisor prof. Shostakovska I.V. and prof. Kondrasova M.N..
Dr. Biol. Sci. (DSc) thesis: Functional state of tissues and changes in the content of sodium ions in conditions of pathological hypoxia and carcinogenesis, 2009. Specialty 03.00.02 – biophysics. Scientific consultant prof. Klevets M.Yu..
Scientific supervisor of the PhD’s thesis of Grenyukh V.P. (2016) “Peculiarities of bioenergetic processes in mitochondria of Nemet-Kellner’s lymphoid cells”
Scientific consultant of the doctorate Gerashchenko B.I. (2017-2019). Theme: “Features of the formation of proliferative and adaptive responses in cellular populations in vitro and in vivo under the influence of external stressors”
Scientific supervisor of post-graduate student Shalay Y.R. (2015-2018) Subject: “The role of free radical processes in the anti-neoplastic activity of thiazole derivatives”
Scientific supervisor of post-graduate student Popovych M. (2018-2021) Subject: “Efficiency of cytotoxic action of thiazole derivatives in complex with nanosized carriers”
Scientific supervisor of the post-graduate student Tymofieev O. (2018-2021) Subject: “Mathematical models of changes of the peroxide oxidation of lipids under the cytotoxic effect in cancer cells”
Scientific supervisor of the post-graduate student Manko B. (2018-2021) Subject: “Features of the energy supply of exocrine cells of the pancreas at different functional states”
Selected articles in periodicals (in English):
- Gerashchenko BI, Salmina K, Krigerts J, Erenpreisa J, Babsky AM. Induced polyploidy and sorting of damaged DNA by micronucleation in radioresistant rat liver epithelial stem/like cells exposed to X-rays. Problems of Radiation Medicine and Radiobiology. 24: 220-234, 2019. doi: 10.33145/2304-8336-2019-24-220-234
- Shalai YaR, Popovych MV, Kulachkovskyy OR, Hreniukh VP, Mandzynets SM, Finiuk NS, Babsky AM. Effect of novel 2-amino-5-benzylthiazole derivative on cellular ultrastructure and activity of antioxidant system in lymphoma cells. Studia Biologica, 13(1): 51–60, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.30970/sbi.1301.591
- Finiuk N, Ivasechko I, Klyuchivska O, Ostapiuk Y, Hreniukh V, Shalai Y, Matiychuk V, Obushak M, Babsky A., Stoika R. Apoptosis induction in human leukemia cells by novel 2-amino-5-benzylthiazole derivatives. Ukr Biochem J. 91(2): 26-36, 2019.
- Finiuk N, Klyuchivska O, Ivasechko I, Hreniukh V, Ostapiuk Y, Shalai Y, Panchuk R, Matiychuk V, Obushak M, Stoika R, Babsky A. Proapoptotic effects of novel thiazole derivative on human glioma cells. Anticancer Drugs. 30(1):27-37, 2019. doi: 10.1097/CAD.0000000000000686.
- Doliba NM, Babsky AM, Osbakken MD. The role of sodium in diabetic cardiomyopathyFront. Physiol. 9: 1473-1489, 2018 doi: 10.3389/fphys.2018.01473
- Finiuk NS, Ostapiuk YuV, Hreniukh VP, Shalai YaR, Matiychuk VS, Obushak MD, Stoika RS, Babsky AM. Evaluation of antiproliferative activity of pyrazolothiazolopyrimidine derivatives. Ukr Biochem J. 90(2): 25-32, 2018. doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/ubj90.02.025
- Finiuk NS, Hreniuh VP, Ostapiuk YuV, Matiychuk VS, Frolov DA, Obushak MD, Stoika RS, Babsky AM. Antineoplastic activity of novel thiazole derivatives. Biopolym Cell. 33 (2): 135-146, 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.7124/bc.00094B
- Hreniukh V, Bychkova S, Kulachkovsky O, Babsky A. Effect of bafilomycin and NAADP on membrane‐associated ATPases and respiration of isolated mitochondria of the murine Nemeth‐Kellner lymphoma. Cell Biochem Funct. 34(8): 579-587, 2016. doi: 10.1002/cbf.3231.1.
- Hreniukh V, Manko B, Sidorova O, Babsky A. Maximal oxidative capacity of NK/Ly lymphoma cells upon glucose, pyruvate and glutamine oxidation. Visnyk of the Lviv University. Series Biology.71(1): 1-10, 2016. http://old.lnu.edu.ua/faculty/biologh/wis/wis.htm
- Doliba M, Babsky A, Doliba Nat, Wehrli S, Osbakken M. AMP promotes oxygen consumption and ATP synthesis in heart mitochondria through adenylate kinase reaction: a NMR spectroscopy study. Cell. Biochem. Funct 33(2): 67-72, 2015. doi: 10.1002/cbf.3089. http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/physiol/UserFiles/file/2015%20CBF.pdf
- Faramarzalian A, McLennan G, Bennett SL, Babsky A, Bansal N, Lieber M, Bonnac L, Pankiewicz K, Jayaram HN. Variability of apoptosis and response in N1-S1 rodent hepatomas to Benzamide Riboside and correlation to early changes in water apparent diffusion coefficient and sodium MR imaging. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 24(6): 894-900, 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2013.02.011.
- Babsky A, George B, Bansal N. Assessment of hepatic perfusion and diffusion in CCl4 treated rat liver using magnetic resonance imaging. Вісник Львівського ун-ту. Серія біологічна. 61: 3-10, 2013.
- Babsky AM, Ju S, Bennett S, George B, McLennan G, Bansal N. Effect of implantation site and growth of hepatocellular carcinoma on apparent diffusion coefficient of water and sodium MRI. NMR Biomed, 25(2): 312-321, 2012. doi: 10.1002/nbm.1752. http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/physiol/UserFiles/file/2012%20NMRBM.pdf
- Babsky A, Ju S, George B, Bennett S, Huang M, Jayaram HN, McLennan G, Bansal N. Predicting response to Benzamide Riboside chemotherapy in hepatocellular carcinoma using apparent diffusion coefficient of water. Anticancer Res, 31(6): 2045-2051, 2011. http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/physiol/UserFiles/file/2011%20ACR.pdf
- McLennan G, Bennett SL, Ju S, Babsky A, Bansal N, Shorten ML, Levitin S, Bonnac L, Panciewicz KW, Jayaram HN. Tumor response and apoptosis of N1-S1 rodent hepatomas in response to intra-arterial and intravenous benzamide riboside. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol, 2012; 35(3):645-52. doi: 10.1007/s00270-011-0140-z.
- James JR, Yong G, Soon VC., Topper SM, Babsky A, Bansal N. Controlled radiofrequency hyperthermia using an MR scanner and simultaneous monitoring of temperature and therapy response by 1H, 23Na and 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy in subcutaneously implanted 9L-gliosarcoma. Int J Hyperthermia, 26(1): 79-90, 2010.
- Atthe B, Babsky A, Hopewell P, Phillips CL, Molitoris BA, Bansal N. Early monitoring of acute tubular necrosis in the rat kidney by 23Na MRI. Am J Physiol – Renal Physiol, 297(5): F1288-F1298, 2009. http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/297/5/F1288.full.pdf
- James JR, Gao Y, Miller MA, Babsky A, Bansal N. Absolute temperature MR imaging with Thulium 1,4,7,10-tetraazacyclododecane-1,4,7,10-tetramethyl-1,4,7,10-tetraacetic acid (TmDOTMA–). Magn Reson Med 62: 550–556, 2009.
- James JR, Hertel JL, Babsky AM, Hekmatyar SK, Heiman M, Jackson CV, Bansal N. Fat and water 1H MRI to investigate effects of leptin in obese mice. Obesity, 17(11): 2089-2093, 2009. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.133
- Babsky AM, Ju S, Bansal N. Apparent diffusion coefficient of water in evaluation of treatment response in animal body tumors (Review). Studia Biologica, 3(1): 3-24, 2009.
- Babsky A, Topper S, Zhang H, Gao Y, James J, Hekmatyar SK, Bansal N. Evaluation of extra- and intracellular apparent diffusion coefficient of sodium: effects of prolonged ischemia. Magn Reson Med. 59(3): 485-491, 2008. doi: 10.1002/mrm.21568
- Babsky A, Zhang H, Hekmatyar SK, Hutchins GD, Bansal N. Monitoring chemotherapeutic response in RIF-1 tumors by single-quantum and triple-quantum-filtered 23Na MRI, 1H diffusion-weighted MRI and PET Imaging. Magn Reson Imaging, 25(7): 1015-1023, 2007.
- Babsky A, Hekmatyar SK, Zhang H, Solomon JS, Bansal N. Predicting and monitoring response to chemotherapy by 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea in subcutaneously implanted 9L glioma using apparent diffusion coefficient of water and 23Na Magnetic Resonance Imaging. J Magn Reson Imaging, 24: 132-139, 2006.
- Pakin SK, Hekmatyar SK, Hopewell P, Kerkhoff R, Babsky A, Bansal N. Noninvasive temperature imaging with of 1,4,7,10-tetraazacyclodoecane-α,α’,α”,α”’-tetramethyl-1,4,7,10-tetraacetic acid (DOTMA–). NMR Biomed, 19: 116-124, 2006.
- Babsky A, Hekmatyar SK, Zhang H, Solomon JS, Bansal N. Application of 23Na MRI to monitor chemotherapeutic response in RIF-1 tumors. Neoplasia, 7: 658-666, 2005. http://www.neoplasia.com/article/S1476-5586(05)80087-9/pdf
- Babsky A, Hekmatyar SK, Gorski T, Nelson DS, Bansal N. Heat-induced changes in intracellular sodium, pH and bioenergetic status in RIF-1 tumor cells determined by 23Na and 31P magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Int J Hyperthermia, 21(2): 141-158, 2005.
- Hekmatyar SK, Hopewell P, Pakin SK, Babsky A, Bansal N. Noninvasive MR thermometry using paramagnetic lanthanide complexes of 1,4,7,10-tetraazacyclodoecane-α,α’,α”,α”’-tetramethyl-1,4,7,10-tetraacetic acid (DOTMA4-). Magn Reson Med, 53: 294-303, 2005.
- Babsky A, Hekmatyar SK, Wehrli SL, Nelson D, Bansal N. Effects of temperature on intracellular sodium, pH and cellular energy status in RIF-1 tumor cells. NMR Biomed, 17(1): 33-42, 2004.
- Crestanello J, Doliba Nic, Babsky A, Doliba Nat, Niibori K, Whitman G.J.R., Osbakken M. Ischemic preconditioning improves mitochondrial tolerance to experimental calcium overload. J Surg Res, 103(2): 243-51, 2002.
- Babsky A, Hekmatyar SK, Wehrli SL, Doliba NM, Osbakken MD, Bansal N. Influence of ischemic preconditioning on intracellular sodium pH and cellular energy in isolated perfused heart. Exp Biol Med, 227(7): 520-528, 2002. http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/227/7/520.full.pdf
- Crestanello J, Doliba Nic, Babsky A, Doliba Nat, Niibori K, Osbakken M, Whitman GJR. Mitochondrial function during ischemic preconditioning. Surgery, 131: 172-178, 2002.
- Hekmatyar SK, Poptani H, Babsky AM, Leeper DB, Bansal N. Noninvasive magnetic resonance thermometry using Thulium-1,4,7,10-tetraazacyclododecane-1,4,7,10-tetraacetate (TmDOTA–) complex. Int J Hyperthermia, 18(3): 165-179, 2002.
- Crestanello J, Doliba Nic, Doliba Nat, Babsky A, Niibori K, Osbakken M, Whitman GJR. Effect of coenzyme Q10 supplementation on mitochondrial function after myocardial ischemia reperfusion. J Surg Res, 102: 221-228, 2002.
- Babsky A, Doliba Nic, Doliba Nat, Savchenko A, Wehrli S, Osbakken M. Na+ effects on mitochondrial respiration and oxidative phosphorylation in diabetic hearts. Exp Biol Med, 226(6): 543-551, 2001. http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/226/6/543.full.pdf
- Crestanello J, Doliba Nic, Babsky A, Doliba Nat, Niibori K, Osbakken M, Whitman G.J.R. Opening of potassium channels protects mitochondria function from calcium overload. J Surg Res, 94: 116-123, 2000.
- Doliba Nat, Babsky A, Wehrli S, Doliba Nic, Ivanics TM, Friedman M, Osbakken M. Metabolic control of sodium transport in streptozotocin induced diabetic rat hearts. Biochemistry (Moscow). 65(4): 590-597, 2000. http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/physiol/UserFiles/file/31.pdf
- Doliba Nic, Doliba Nat, Chang Q, Babsky A, Wroblewski K, Natelson B, Osbakken M. Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in heart from stressed cardiomyopathic hamsters. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 31: 543-553, 1999.
- Babsky A, Doliba Nic, Doliba Nat, Osbakken M. Adenosine improves cardiomyocyte respiratory efficiency. Ukr Biokhim Zh, 70(3): 73-81, 1998.
- Doliba Nat, Chang Q, Doliba Nic, Babsky A, Wroblewski K, Natelson B, Osbakken M. Metabolic abnormalities and differential responses to stress associated with hamster cardiomyopathy. Proc Exp Biol Med, 219(1): 48-56, 1998.
- Doliba Nic, Wehrli S, Babsky A, Doliba Nat, Osbakken M. Encapsulation and perfusion of mitochondria in agarose beads for functional studies with 31P-NMR spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med, 39(5): 679-684, 1998.
- Kondrashova M, Grigorenko E, Temnov A, Okon E, Babsky A, Okon M, Esipova N, Platonov A, Protasevich I, Zelikina T, Shabadash S. Effect of negative hydroairions on structure and functional property of mitochondria. Biofizika 32(2): 313-321, 1987. (in Russian)
- Kondrashova M, Gogvadze V, Medvedev B, Babsky A. Succinic acid oxidation as only energy support of intensive calcium ion uptake by mitochondria. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 109(2): 376-381, 1982. http://bioweb.lnu.edu.ua/physiol/UserFiles/file/49.pdf
Books, textbooks and sections in books
- Babsky AM, Ju S, Bansal N. Evaluation of Tumor Treatment Response with DWI. In: Extra-Cranial Applications of Diffusion-Weighted MRI, Chapter 12: 172-196. Ed. Bachir Taouli. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, UK, 216 p., 2011.
- Doliba NM, Sweet IR, Babsky A, Doliba N, Forster RE, Osbakken M. Simultaneous measurement of oxygen consumption and 13C16O2 production from 13C-pyruvate in diabetic rat heart mitochondria. In: Adv Exp Med Biol. Oxygen transport to tissue XIX. Eds. Harisson and Delpy / New York: Plenum Press, pp. 269-275, 1997.
- Babsky A, Grigorenko E, Okon E, Kondrashova M. The homeostatic effect of electrically non-compensated hydroxyl on phosphorylating respiration in highly native mitochondria. In: Charge and Field Effects in Biosystems – 3rd Edition. Еds. M. Allen et al., New York: Birkhauser, pp. 103-113, 1992.
- Kondrashova M, Volkova S, Kuznetsova E, Grigorenko E, Babsky A, Podoletz A, Kuznetsova G. Succinic acid as a physiological signal molecule. In: Signal Molecules and Behavior, eds. W. Winlow et al. Manchester University Press, pp. 294-301, 1991.
Born on March 18, 1957, in Sokal, Lviv Region, Ukraine. Graduated from the Faculty of Biology of Ivan Franko Lviv State University (LSU) (1979) and completed there the post-graduate program (1983). In 1980-85 worked at the Laboratory of Biophysics of Mitochondria at the Institute of Biological Physics of the USSR Academy of Sciences (Pushchino, RF); 1985-90 – Researcher and in 1990-95 the Head of the Laboratory of Bioenergetics and Biologically Active Substances; 1994-95 – Deputy Dean of the Biological Faculty for scientific work of LSU; 1995-01 – Researcher of the Department of Biochemistry / Biophysics, 2001-02 – of the Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, USA); 2002-06 – Researcher, 2006-11 – Assistant Research Professor at the Department of Radiology, Indiana University (Indianapolis, USA); since 2012 – Professor of the Department of Human and Animal Physiology; since May 2016 – the head of the Department of Biophysics and Bioinformatics at the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv (LNU).
Deputy Chairman of the Academic Council of the Biological Faculty and a member of the Academic Council of LNU. Deputy Head of the Specialized Academic Council K 35.051.14 for the defense of PhD theses at the Biological Faculty of LNU. Head of the Lviv Branch of the Ukrainian Biophysical Society. Member of the P.H. Kostiuk Ukrainian Physiological Society. Deputy Chairmen of “Studia Biologica“. Member of the editorial board of “Visnyk of Lviv University. Biological Series”. In 2000 – one of the founders, and in 2007-2009 – the president of the Friends of of Lviv University (abroad).
Scientific supervisor of the state budget theme Бф-81ф (0119U002201) «Mechanisms of overcoming of resistance and increase of the effectiveness of antitumor action of thiazole derivatives in complex with nanosized polymer carriers» (2019-2021).
Scientific supervisor of the project within the working time “Membrane-bound processes in cold-blooded and warm-blooded animals for pathological conditions and under the effect of physical and chemical factors” (2018-2021).
Scientific supervisor of the state budget theme “Бф-24ф” “Energy processes in mitochondria of cancer cells and hepatocytes under the influence of azoles and derivatives of furan with antitumor activity” (2016-2018).
- Varian, Inc. “Submit Your Data” Award, ISMRM 17th Meeting and Exhibition, April 2009, Honolulu, Hawai’i, USA. https://www.ismrm.org/09/
2. Inviting lecture on the 2nd Year Advanced Biomedical Imaging Course / Joint Course of National Continuing Medical Education Program and the Europe – Asia Link Project, June 2009, Yangzhou, China. https://www.kuleuven.be/radiology/eapcobir/Yangzhou.php
3. Certificate and Prize for the first place of the textbook “Basics of Bioenergetics” (authors Babsky A., Ikkert O., Manko VV) in the competition “The best textbook of the natural direction of the 2018-2019 academic year” at the Ivan Franko LNU Publishing House. October 11, 2019.
Page with teachers schedule not found!