Department of Biophysics and Bioinformatics
- About the Department
- Lecturers' schedule
About the Department
The Department of Biophysics and Mathematical Methods in Biology was organized in 1974 by a well-known biophysicist, professor Myron P. Derkach. In 2005, professor Dmytro I. Sanahursky renamed and reorganized the department under the name of Biophysics and Bioinformatics. Since 2016, the department is headed by Dr. Andriy M. Babsky.
The department today is a team of 16 employees, including lecturers, researchers, engineers, laboratory assistants and post-graduate students. At the department there are two doctors of biological sciences and eight candidates of sciences (Ph.D.).
Scientific interests of the department:
1. Transmembrane bioelectrogenesis: modifying effects on it, structural-functional analysis and models.
2. Biophysics of embryonic systems, the action of physic-chemical factors on them.
3. Mathematical modeling of biological processes.
4. Cellular bioenergetics.
The department prepares bachelors and masters – biophysicists, providing training on the following courses:
· General Cytology
· Mathematical Methods in Biology
· Basis of Bioinformatics
Master programs are connected with the basic scientific directions of the department. Please see the chapter “Research”
At the department there are postgraduate and doctoral programs in the specialty “Biophysics”.
WHY WE LOVE BIOPHYSICS?
|Associate ProfessorMarta Bura||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorMariia Dyka||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorNataliia Harasym||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorVira Otchych||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorYaryna Shalai||Associate Professor|
|Associate ProfessorAntonina Tarnovska||Associate Professor|
|Research FellowVolodymyr Hrenyukh||Research Fellow|
|Research FellowSvitlana Mandzynets||Research Fellow|
|1st Category EngineerNataliia Bodnarchuk||1st Category Engineer|
|Senior Department SecretaryDariia Dluhosh||Senior Department Secretary|
|Postgraduate StudentMarta Popovych||Postgraduate Student|
|Postgraduate StudentOleh Tymofeev||Postgraduate Student|
• Clarification of the basic regularities of changes in the electro-physiological parameters of membranes and membrane-bound processes during early embryogenesis in fish (model objects – eggs of loach (Misgurnus fossilis), zebra-fish, frog buds, and tissues of warm-blooded animals); determination and research of the dominant functional structures in membrane-bound processes of early embryogenesis (Sanagurskyi D, PhD, DSc; Bezkorovainyi A, PhD)
• Study of the effect of electromagnetic radiation of the radio frequency on the viability and processes of fertilization and embryogenesis (Yaremchuk M, PhD; Dyka M, PhD)
• Molecular mechanisms of action of physical and chemical exogenous factors on the functioning of transport systems of cold-blooded embryos during early embryogenesis (Bura M, PhD; Heneha A, PhD; Bodnarchuk N, PhD)
• Changes in the processes of lipid and protein peroxidation, antioxidant enzymes activity and enzymes of the respiratory chain of cells of the warm-blooded animal tissues under the action of an oxidizing agent and a detoxifier of sodium hypochlorite (Garasym N, PhD; Tarnovska A, PhD, Galan M, PhD)
• Influence of laser irradiation on blood parameters of patients with tuberculosis (Otchych V, PhD; Dyka M, PhD; Otchych O, PhD)
• Application of new information technologies in biological researches (Sanagurskyi D, PhD, DSc; Babsky A, PhD. DSc; Hreniukh V, PhD; Tymofeyev O, MSc)
• Features of energy and peroxide processes in cancer cells and the search for substances with antitumor activity (Babsky A, PhD, DSc; Hreniukh V, PhD; Shalai Ya., MSc, Popovych M, MSc)
• The role of the sympathetic-adrenal system in adaptation to muscular work (Galan M, PhD)
• Indicators of ejaculate in men of all ages in norm and for pathology (Tarnovska A, PhD)
The department cooperates with:
• Yale University (Department of Psychiatry and Neurobiology), New Haven, USA;
• University of Pennsylvania (Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics), Philadelphia, USA
• Mediterranean Institute of Neurobiology (Department of Molecular Electrophysiology), Marseille, France;
• Indiana University (Department of Radiology and Scientific Images), Indianapolis, USA;
• Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Department of Child Development and Metabolic Illness), USA;
• State Scientific and Research Control Institute of Veterinary Preparations and Forage Supplements, Lviv;
• Institute of Cell Biology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Department of Regulation of Cell Proliferation and Apoptosis), Lviv
• Institute of Epidemiology and Hygiene (Department of Tuberculosis and Non-Specific Lung Diseases), Lviv;
• Danylo Halytsky National Medical University of Lviv;
• Ivan Bobersky State University of Physical Culture of Lviv;
• Botanical Garden of Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Lviv;
• National University “Lviv Polytechnic” (Department of Organic Chemistry);
• The Faculty of Chemistry of the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv (Department of Organic Chemistry).
Навчальна практика з екології для 1 курсу (керівник доц. Цвілинюк О.М.)
О 9.30 – зустріч на конференції у Zoom
Матеріали доступні на http://e-learning.lnu.edu.ua/course/view.php?id=2857
Виробнича практика для студентів БЛЕ-31 (керівник доц. Думич О.Я.)
і БЛЕМ-51 (керівник доц. Джура Н.М.) http://e-learning.lnu.edu.ua/course/view.php?id=2107
Продовжується навчальна практика у студентів БЛЕ-21 (керівник доц. Савицька О.М.) http://e-learning.lnu.edu.ua/course/view.php?id=2065
On March 5, 2020, the Department of Biology of the Lviv University was visited by professor Domenico Morabito, a representative of the University of Orleans, Laboratory for Biology of Woody and Agricultural Plants, UPRES EA1207 (Orleans, France). During his visit professor, Morabito met with the teachers, postgraduate students and students of the Department of Plant Physiology and Ecology. It was discussed the possibility of cooperation between scientists in the field of phytoremediation of technogenic polluted soils and internships of Ukrainian...Read more »
“Wild Life Control” is an ornithological service of Lviv Danylo Halytskyi International Airport. Students of the Department of Zoology visited Danylo Halytskyi International Airport “Lviv” to get acquainted with the work of the ornithological service “Wild Life Control”. They had the opportunity to observe the work of ornithologists and to realize its importance in the modern world.
During the excursion the students they got acquainted with the process and methods of scaring away the birds at the airport to avoid bird...
On November 13, 2019, the Faculty of Biology hosted a meeting of the students and the teaching stuff with the Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Argentine Republic in Ukraine, Elena Leticia Mikusinski, and Dr. Pablo Goldschmidt, who delivered a lecture “The application of molecular biology to infectious diseases (the detection of bacteria, viruses and free-living amoebas).”
Professor, Dr. Pablo Goldschmidt, Medical Biologist, Doctor of Biological Sciences in Molecular Pharmacology, studied at the Pharmaceutical and Medical Departments of the University of...